Thursday, October 16, 2008

Peaks and Valleys. And Valleys.

I guess life is full of peaks and valleys. And sometimes you are on the peak. And other times you are in the valley. And I think that being in the valley helps you learn to be with others when they are in their own valleys.


I was reading in my devotional book today about how Jesus comforts us. It said "When you need comfort, I love to enfold you in My arms. I enable you not only to feel comforted but also to be a channel through whom I comfort others. Thus you are doubly blessed, because a living channel absorbs some of whatever flows through it."


These words seemed to really hit home with me. The last few days have been emotionally exhausting for many reasons. The Captain and I have needed to be comforted and, at the same time, have had the opportunity to comfort others.


We spent yesterday in Missouri at the funeral of the Captain's grandfather. It was a hard day for him. His best friend J. made the trip (followed me and the kids up there) to just be there for him. He spent the entire day there. Just for the Captain.


Friend J. lost his mother seven years ago this Saturday. I know that is heavy on his mind this week.


I have a dear friend whose father became suddenly ill last night and had to have emergency surgery to remove his foot. He will have further surgery next week to remove an additional portion of his leg. She has many other challenges going on in her life right now, including taking care of a newborn baby. My heart has weighed heavy for her the last 24 hours as she has gone through this valley. I feel helpless in terms of what I can do for her other than talk with her and pray for her.


Today is my Daddy's birthday. He would have been 69 today. And yes, he has been on my mind today. Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you!


But my friend has been on my mind today too. And her dad. And the Captain. And friend J. None of us are immune to challenges or to pain or to sadness. But we all just get through it. With the help of Jesus and our family and our friends. And I believe we learn how to help others in their valleys after we have been in one ourself.


0 Wanna' ramble too?: