Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Just say no

Spent some time yesterday brainstorming with a friend on some marketing ideas for him.

As we talked, it was the usual "How are you?", "How are the kids?", "Whatcha' been doin'?" kind of stuff. And he was telling me how busy he is. "A completely booked calendar until after the first of the year." Working, taking on some extra projects at work, doing some community service events, house chores, etc, etc etc. THEN he tells me that the doctor has ordered a stress test because he hasn't been feeling so hot. You think?

So we started talking about how to say no to projects and people. And I was really trying to encourage him to turn some of this stuff down. "You don't have to say yes to everything that comes along." Of course I'm one to talk. "Listen to me Pot, I'll tell you how it's done," said Kettle. I have an awful time saying no. Yes, I'll serve on the board. Yes, I'll train for the marathon. Yes, I'll raise money for the Leukemia Society. Yes, I'll coordinate Bible Bowl at church. Yes, I'll be parents' club president. I load my plate so full that you can't even see the plate. Plate? What plate?

But the dilemma dillema dilema problem is just how do you say no? How can you decide what project or person to say no to? Because everything is so valid. And you believe in those things. And it is for a good cause. And you don't want to let others down. And it's good for your career to do these extra things. And you want to help others. And you really feel like you can make a difference. And all those things are good and valid reasons to say yes to people and projects.

But what suffers? Is it your health? Is it your family? Your friends? Sorry, I can't have lunch with you friend, I'm so busy helping others. Sorry family, I can't be home tonight, I have yet another board meeting. Sorry doctor, I can't be having a heart attack right now, I'm too busy.

So help a girl out. When is enough enough people?
When is it ok to say no? And how do you do that? How do you choose what to do and what not to do?

4 Wanna' ramble too?:

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me if you do everything yourself you are robbing others of the blessing of doing things....just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Priorety - Make a list of all you do. Then ask yourself - how does this affect me - spiritually, mentally, physically. The order will change over time. They are all important, but maybe some not all - not right now. There will be a time when you won't have anything to do - not sure when that is. I am not there yet. But do we really want that----
ILY

Anonymous said...

OK - where was spell check? I do know how to spell priority ha

Anonymous said...

Apparently spelling wasn't a priority...