Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Questions

Making its way around the blogosphere is this little Christmas meme. So naturally I jumped on board.

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

Coffee thanks.

Do you hang mistletoe?

Yep. Muuuuuah!

Can you ice skate?

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Which do you prefer giving or receiving?

Yes.

Wrapping paper or gift bags?

A little bit of both. I hate to use gift bags, but sometimes it's inevitable.

Real tree or artificial?
Artificial. I grew up with an artificial tree too. The Captain grew up with a real tree. I just don't want to spend money on a tree. Plus, I want a big one. And that' s even more money. And the whole watering thing and needle dropping thing. No thanks. I know people talk about the great smell of the tree. One word for them: candle.

When do you put up the tree?
I start all the decorating the Friday after Thanksgiving.

When do you take the tree down?
The day after Christmas. Call me a Scrooge if you want. I love my tree and all my decorations and stuff, but once it's over, it's over.

Hardest person to buy for?
Probably my mother-in-law. She has everything. And she really has no interests. She is a toughie.

Easiest person to buy for?
Definitely my sister Connie. We have the same interests. I usually end up buying myself one of everything I buy for her. I told her the other I could spend easily spend $500 on her gifts. Because she is easy and I love everything I get for her. She told me she would not stand in my way if I really felt that way.

Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
A bag of a dozen lemons. But there were only eleven in the bag. Long story. But it was not a gag gift. Yes, this is a true story. It was funny then. It is funny now.

Favorite Christmas movie?
I love Christmas Story. Ralphie and his quest for the Red Ryder BB gun makes me laugh my head off. Just classic humor there. Of course I love all the animated specials too. Wouldn't be Christmas without them. The kids love the Home Alone movies and the Santa Clause movies.

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
No comment. I just hope you like what I got you this year....And no, it doesn't look familiar.

Lights on the tree?
Of course. White.

Favorite Christmas song?
Christmas music always makes me a little weepy. I guess I have a few faves. I would have to say "O Holy Night" ranks up there (Martina McBride does it best). I also like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (maybe the Kenny G version). And "Do You Hear What I Hear" and "Carol of the Bells".

Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
Grew up opening our family gifts on Christmas Eve. Usually our immediate family gifts are opened at some point on Christmas Eve. We have "Present Night" with Mom and Connie's crew on the Saturday before Christmas. Sounds weird I know. But it kind of evolved to that after we factored in the Captain's police schedule, Bro-in-Law's medical oncall schedule, out of town family, etc. It's a neat tradition. We all love it.

Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
People get in such a hurry trying to get it all done they are not nice. Cutting you off in the parking lot, getting impatient waiting in line, etc. They forget why they are doing all this in the first place. All of that, plus rude or indifferent retail clerks. Don't get me started. Oh and the horn honking. Seriously. Now, I am a reformed horn honker so I know the temptation of the really laying down on that horn, but it's really not a very nice thing to do. I have quit honking. That, my dear readers, is another story for another time.

Snow on Christmas morning?
I wish...but usually no. Yoo-hoo....Hey Weatherman!! I know you are reading this. Anything you can do about this would be appreciated!


Anybody looking for a post? Consider yourself tagged.

15 shopping days til Christmas. You're welcome.

5 Wanna' ramble too?:

w said...

well there goes my "11 lemons in a bag" idea.

Connie said...

We can never have a real tree since we have two bird dogs in the house. We figure since it's a given birds will have sat in said tree at any given time, the doggies would point at the tree and not move until Dec 26th.

MOM said...

what is left for me to say. I will say that the year Dad got into the Olive Branch Christmas Parade by mistake, when he had his 4-wheeler on the trailer, did not become a traditon.

JuJu said...

Your take on the bad part of Christmas is excellent.
You were a horn honker? How long have you been "in recovery?"

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!