Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The GOOD thing

Went to the baseball game last night. It was a good night at the ballpark.  (Except for the humongous swarm of mosquitos that ate us alive.)

It's always fun to watch some good baseball.  And do some good people watching.  America's pasttimes....

There's a man that sits down in front of us - just a few rows up from the visitor dugout.   He's a little bit older and seems to be a little mentally challenged.  But appears very happy - enjoys the game, claps to the music and eats his popcorn.   He's cute. 

When the visiting team would head off the field to the dugout, the man always stood up at his seat and held out his hand asking for a ball.  He never really walked up there.  Just stood up and held out his hand.

Lots of other people are down there in the front, too, asking for balls.  One teenage boy a few rows over from us ran down there and got one of the balls.  I had been watching him and his group of friends.  Having fun.  Dancing to the music, eating, hollering at the umpires. 

Toward the end of the game, the teenager walked down and gave his ball - and a thumbs up - to the man.  Still makes me a little teary thinking about it.

So I marched my big fat mama bootie over to that boy and told him that was the sweetest thing ever and he had done a good thing and if his mother were at the game I'd tell her what he had done and how proud she would be of him.  That's when another boy in the group said, "I told him to do it."   

"Oh you did not."

"Yes, I did.  We're brothers."

OK, pat on the back for you, too.

Anyway, it just made my heart happy.

It wasn't that the boy did the right thing.  Because it wouldn't have been wrong to have kept the ball either. 

The boy did the GOOD thing.






1 Wanna' ramble too?:

JuJu said...

Oh Angie, this gave me goose bumps. Thank you for rejuvenating my hope in the human spirit.

And, of course, it took place at a baseball game. I love it.