Friday, August 22, 2008

My quest to use the crockpot more

I've decided I need to do a better job during the week utilizing my crockpot. Now, let me preface that by saying:
1. I cook dinner every night.
2. We rarely eat out. Maybe one or two meals a month. No kidding.
3. Even when The Captain isn't home for dinner (approximately 60% of the week), I cook dinner for the rest of us.
4. But every once in awhile, THAT meal includes tater tots.

Anyhoo, if I could do just a little bit better job of planning ahead, I can be more efficient in the dinner department. And let's face it people, it's nice to walk in the door at 5pm and have dinner ready to go. The natives are always so restless.

I stumbled across this great blog where this lady has vowed to use her crockpot every day in 2008. Every. Single. Day. It's worth a read just to see what she's done. Lots of the recipes are very, very doable. Personally, I am not interested in baking in my crockpot, so some of them are not appealing to me. But she's got some great ideas on there. And to think, she's already 75% through the year. Yea for her.

So last night I tried one of the recipes I found on that site. I tweaked it a little bit. I made Chicken Soft Tacos. It went something like this:

  • Chicken breasts (almost completely thawed, but not quite)
  • Can of diced tomatoes with juice
  • Can of black beans, drained
  • Can of corn, drained
  • Package of taco seasoning
  • Extra cumin, cilantro, chili powder just for fun. (My fam loves spicy foods....)

I mixed the taco seasoning with just a little bit of water, but didn't add any extra water to the pot. I figured the juice from the tomatoes and the extra juice the chicken would put out would be enough. I was right. It ended up with *lots* of juice. I used a slotted spoon to serve it. I kind of shredded the chicken up a little bit, but it wasn't hard. It just fell apart. We put sour cream and cheese on it and wrapped it in a tortilla. You could also use a regular taco shell or even on top of rice.

I cooked this on low for about 10 hours. It's definitely one of those recipes that can cook as little or as long as needed once you get the chicken cooked.

The Chicken Soft Tacos received 9 stars*********
Everybody loved it.
Little to no preparation. (I'm all about opening and dumping...)
Very inexpensive.
Delicious and nutritious.
Did I mention everybody loved it?
And that it was EASY to put together?

I'll definitely make it again.

Pull out your crockpot people and let's cook!

3 Wanna' ramble too?:

Anonymous said...

How could you forget - you eat with me on Monday's

ILY

Brooke said...

Thanks for the site, I'm going to check it out. Being in school requires me to be creative with dinner.

Brooke said...

Thanks for the site, I'm going to check it out. Being in school requires me to be creative with dinner.