Friday, December 12, 2008

One more thing to celebrate

Happy Poinsettia Day! Did you even know there was such a thing?

The poinsettia was named after Joel Poinsett, who introduced the plant to America from Mexico. Poinsett was a botanist, a US Congressman and Secretary of War under President Martin Van Buren. He died on December 12, 1851 and that's why today is National Poinsettia Day.

Also, contrary to popular belief, poinsettia plants are not poison. Read about it for yourself.

After all these fascinating facts about the poinsettia, I know you still have a burning question that I have not answered....

Is it pronounced poin-se-ti-a or poin-se-ta?

According to my ol' buddy Merriam Webster, either one is ok.

How do you say it?




And here's one more reason that made me blog about poinsettias today....



Happy Friday people! Peace. Out.

5 Wanna' ramble too?:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Mom I voted before you so that means I win!!! Poinsetta poinsetta poinsettAAAAAAA!!!

Anonymous said...

ok Connie, You made me laugh. Anyway - you want to race - here goes

Anonymous said...

Now I have voted and it is even - just like Webster

angie128 said...

Sorry mom, I'm poin-se-TA also.

Anonymous said...

To be totally honest, I say both, so I guess Webster wins - either way is ok.