Saturday, March 7, 2009

It got real ugly there for awhile

Tiger game.
Noon today.
I finished my chores and errands so I would be ready at noon to watch.
I had on my Tiger shirt.
I was sitting in "the chair I have to sit in when the Tigers play".

But there was one problem.

We can't find the game.

What channel is it on?
Flip, flip, flip.
It's supposed to be on channel 6.
We start flipping channels.
We check the guide.
We then begin to frantically flip channels.
Texts on my cell phone: "What channel?!?"
Calls on my home phone: "What channel is the game on. I can't find it."

WHERE IS THE GAME???

The game is not on.

THE. GAME. IS. NOT. ON.


So I make a little phone call to Comcast....


Comcast Lady: Hello. How may I help you?

Me: Hi. I'm just trying to find what channel the Memphis Tiger game comes on. I thought it was CSS.

Comcast Lady: Yes, Ma'am. It is channel six. And the game will be aired at 3:30 pm.

Me: Ummmm. 3:30 ?! Tip-off was 3 minutes ago.

Comcast Lady: Yes, Ma'am. The game will be delayed and aired at 3:30 pm.

Me: You're showing it DELAYED?!? Now I know that YOU are not the one that made this decision and you really had nothing to do with this, but that is a very stupid decision and I am not very happy about it.

Comcast Lady: This was a decision by the network.

Me: Let me get this straight. You are airing the final game of the women's Atlantic Sun Conference tournament instead of the 4th ranked Memphis Tigers?! In Memphis?!

Comcast Lady: Yes, Ma'am. This was a decision by the network.

Me: Well, I hate to tell you, but your phone is about to ring off the wall with angry Tiger fans.

Comcast Lady: Yes, Ma'am. It already is.


I was still upset. And I am a paying Comcast customer. So I sent two emails and did a little live online chat with MORE Comcast customer service reps. "Poor, poor decision not to air the Memphis Tiger game live. You could have done this at least just in Memphis. You are going to have lots of angry customers in Memphis. The line forms here."

So I settled myself down and just tried to accept the fact that I can watch it, albeit delayed, at 3:30.

All of a sudden, Jordan yells, "THE TIGER GAME IS ON!"

And sure enough, the game was being aired. It was almost halftime, but it was the game nonetheless.

The people had spoken.

And apparently jammed the phone lines at Comcast because they had two separate automated messages.

"If you are calling about the Memphis Tigers game, it will air at 3:30. We are experiencing an unusally high call volume."

YOU THINK!?!?!?


Then later, once the game did finally air...
"Good News! The Memphis Tigers game is airing live now on channel 6."

And the game was on.

And the Tigers won.

Yes, they did.

By 27 points.

TWENTY. SEVEN. POINTS.

And Antonio Anderson became the first Tiger player ever to have 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, and 500 assists. Antonioooooooooooo!!

And Chance McGrady apparently got to start but I didn't see that because they didn't air the first half of the game and he got to play the last two minutes of the game.

And with a few minutes left, Cal pulled Dozier and Antonio out separately so they could get their well-deserved recognition. (Two more wins for them and they will be the winningest college basketball players ever. EVER. That's just amazing I think. Yet the Tigers still get no respect.)

And yes, I called the Comcast lady back to thank her for finally airing the game live. And she seemed a bit surprised that I would call and say that.

And we all lived happily ever after.

The End.

And Go Tigers Go!!

4 Wanna' ramble too?:

JuJu said...

I'm so glad it all worked out. I watched the Twitter with baited breath all day! And, a win on top of it all!!

angie128 said...

From some things I read on our paper's website, I apparently wasn't the only Tiger fan who called Comcast.

Go Tigers!!

Anonymous said...

oh no...it's never good when you start your sentence with, "Let me get this straight."

angie128 said...

Bingmama - that made me laugh out loud!!