Thursday, April 2, 2009

Time to move on

I'm moving on.

It's a new day people.

Cal is gone. The end.

And yesterday he said hello to Kentucky. And goodbye to Memphis.

I was sad. Yes, I was. And ok, maybe I cried just a teeny bit. Don't think less of me.

We loved him.
He said he loved us too.

But then, he pulled the ol' "It's not you, it's me" break up line.

And he went with another.

And when next season's basketball season starts, he'll be there in Rupp Arena coaching the Wildcats. (At least he doesn't have to buy any new blue ties. Not that buying new clothes should be a concern for him, what with his $31.65 million contract and all.)

And I think when I see him with that team for the first time, it's gonna' kind of be like seeing an ex-boyfriend with their new flame. Ouch. It'll hurt at first. And you hope the relationship will go south and he will come crawling, just begging you to take him back But then it'll be ok.

Oh well.

Bingmama said it's like going through the stages of grief. I am pleased to say that I think I have moved through all of them (denial, anger, bargaining, depression) and am now headed into acceptance. I think she is still stuck on anger because she allegedly spit on her husband's Kentucky sweatshirt. Or that's the rumor anyway. I really cannot confirm or deny that.

Look at where we were a week ago TODAY. Getting ready to play Missouri. Ready to make a run for the Final Four. It was blissdom in Tigerville people. If you had told me last Thursday morning, that we would lose the game, Tyreke would go pro, Cal would quit, and we may lose two other players, our assistant coaches and all our recruits, I would have either called you a liar or maybe, MAYBE bought the Tyreke bit. But nothing else. Fast forward a few days. And here we are with not much. Wow. I get dizzy thinking about it.

And suddenly the Memphis bandwagon isn't nearly as crowded as it was a few days ago.

But the Memphis Tigers will be ok. We will make it through this.

It's not like anybody died or anything.

And life goes on. After all, it IS just basketball, right? It's just Memphis Tigers basketball. The *one* thing that brings us all together. That makes us a non-partisan city. It makes us all the same color (BLUE!). It's the one thing we all agree on. It's the one thing that takes our minds off all the other problems. It's the thing that makes us say "Go Tigers" whenever we see somebody else in Kroger wearing a Tiger shirt. (Don't you do that? Surely I'm not the only person who does that....)

See? It's just basketball.

We'll be fine.

It was Cal's dream to coach at Kentucky. It's the chance of a lifetime. And he had to take it. Didn't he?

But I can't help thinking about next year... a.k.a. The Year. Capital T. Capital Y. .... And what really could have been. *sigh*

And that's just the way it is.

But I don't have to like it.

I'm moving on.

The End.

1 Wanna' ramble too?:

JuJu said...

I totally feel for you. And I mean it when I say this, I really really hope next season will be THE year.
Well, one way, or another, it will be! I mean, I realize now that they have the greatest fans!
:-)