Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fit Yummy Mummy

I'm working on a new exercise program that Connie found for me. It's a combination of exercises (called resistance training) and cardio (called intervals). There are a few options you can have when you set up the schedule. You can either do your resistance training and intervals at the same time and have a rest day between each workout day (working out three TIMES a week). Or you can do your resistance training in the morning and your intervals at night; again having a rest day between each (working out three DAYS a week). Or you can do your resistance training one day and your intervals the next day, allowing one day of rest for the week (working out six DAYS a week). I think I'm going to do a spinoff combination of the first and the last options. Because I still need to have a day or two of just running - not intervals. Just a 2 or 3 mile run. And if I go for the St. Jude Half in December, I'll have to add some longer weekend runs too. Not time yet to think about that though.



The premise of the intervals is brief, high intensity periods of exercise (i.e. walking, biking, running AS FAST AS YOU CAN) alternated with active recovery periods where you slow down just enough to catch your breath. The intervals are really only meant to last about 15 minutes.

I think it will work nicely for me and, in the end, will help my goal of shaving some time off my pace so I can focus on some decent short run times and give it a good shot at some 5k races.

Oh, I didn't tell you what the program is called. It's called (are you ready for this?) Fit Yummy Mummy. Apparently 'yummy mummy' is a slang term (maybe British?) for attractive older woman/mother. Hmmmmmm. Kind of stupid, but if it works.......

Soooo, we'll see how all this goes.

Today is National Fried Okra Day. I wish I were celebrating this national holiday at Mom's.....

Happy Birthday today to Carly Simon who turns 63. I still wish to this day that she had stayed married to James Taylor. What musical genes their kids have. Wow. I love both of them. I think they are both just so incredibly gifted. I think I'll listen to one of their CDs on my way to work today.




And for the Doggie Picture of the Day, here is Gauge doing one of his favorite things - looking out the front door.



2 Wanna' ramble too?:

Anonymous said...

He's looking for me....

Anonymous said...

thats funny aunt connie!!!! i love fried okra!!!!! yum...