Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"It's not fair"

Having a 6-year old and an 11-year old, I hear that a lot in my house. And you know what I tell them? "You're exactly right. It's *not* fair. And the sooner you learn that in your life, the easier it will be."

But it's not easy to learn is it? It's not easy to not get your way or to be mistreated.

It's hard to grow up. Kids can be so mean. Girls can be so catty. Teasing and bullying is so hurtful. But that really doesn't go away once we become adults....it just shifts..... our words are ugly...We want to be right....We don't want others to be mistreat or to hurt us.

I read this in my devo book this week and it really hit home. Not just a life lesson for my kids, but one for me too.

Do not expect to be treated fairly in this life. People will say and do hurtful things to you, things that you don't deserve. When someone mistreats you, try to view it as an opportunity to grow in grace. See how quickly you can forgive the one who has wounded you. Don't be concerned about setting the record straight. Instead of obsessing about other people's opinions of you, keep your focus on Jesus. Ultimately, it is His view of you that counts....When others treat you unfairly, remember that the ways of Jesus are much better than fair.

Easier said than done isn't it people?


0 Wanna' ramble too?: