Tuesday, January 6, 2009

This year I will...

Do you make New Year's Resolutions? We're six days into the new year. Are you still keeping them if you did?

  • 63% of people say they are still keeping their resolutions after two months
  • 67% of people make three or more resolutions
  • Top four resolutions:
    *Increase exercise
    *Be more conscientious about work or school
    *Develop better eating habits
    *Stop smoking, drinking, or using drugs (including caffeine)
  • People make more resolutions to start a new habit than to break an old one.

  • I don't like to call the 'resolutions'. It's really just some areas where I want to focus and make some changes. I have four areas I'm focusing on this year.

    One "focus area" that I will share with you is a goal to slow down. During the two weeks that I was home for the holidays I really enjoyed our low-key, slothful slug pace. I allowed myself to lay on the couch for hours and watch football games and movies. I played a ton of games with my kids. I slept late!

    That quiet and slow time made me stop to think about what normally keeps me so busy. What am I doing all the time that prevents me from just STOPPING? And I couldn't think of anything. I am busy. Doing nothing. Just a regular whirling dervish I guess.

    Now, I know that those holiday weeks are not our normal work and school filled weeks. So I know we can't have two hour wii tournaments every day. Or take daily naps. Or watch Law & Order marathons. Or play Bookworm all day. But I can just slow down. And experience a little peace.

    I'll share my other three focus areas in another post.

    In the meantime, anybody want to share their resolutions?

    Or maybe you'll just answer this little question....



    1 Wanna' ramble too?:

    Anonymous said...

    God gives us good things all day long, but, we are usually too busy to slow down and "see" them. Things like a beautiful sunset, a little child playing with his dog or a grandchild coming up with a hug and an "I love you". I want to slow down to be able to see these blessings and acknowledge they are blessings and not just a part of my day.