Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Txtg Pop N Mphs

I read in the paper yesterday that Memphis is one of the most text-messaging cities in the country.

Fifty-five of adult cell phone subscribers in Memphis use text messaging. That puts Memphis in a three-way tie (with Salt Lake City and Dallas) for second place. Fifty-seven percent of adults cell phone subscribers in El Paso are text-savvy, which earns them first place.

Nationally, forty-eight percent of adult cell phone subscribers text message.

The study showed that text message usage is highest among the "young, multicultural audience." And, according to U.S. Census data, the median age in Memphis is 33, and 63 percent of the city's residents are african american.

The least popular city for text messaging is Grand Rapids, Michigan with only 35% of their population texting.

I have to admit, 2008 was the year I became hooked with the texting. I'm sure, even though I am not "young" or "multicultural", that I helped Memphis earn this second place award.

The Captain has two half-sisters who are in their 20's. They kind of forced me to add a very limited texting plan to my phone since that really became one of their main ways of communicating with us. I started with 200 messages per month. I thought this would be *plenty* of allowable texts.

I was wrong.

Let's just say that in the last year, I have bumped up three more levels and now have "unlimited" texting on my plan.

Anybody else out there addicted to their texting?

2 Wanna' ramble too?:

Anonymous said...

You know I am...I would imagine one reason Grand Rapids is the lowest is cuz people don't want to get their hands out of their warm pockets, and it is quite difficult to text with gloves on..I have tried.

Anonymous said...

You know I am...I would imagine one reason Grand Rapids is the lowest is cuz people don't want to get their hands out of their warm pockets, and it is quite difficult to text with gloves on..I have tried.