Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mary Poppins would not be proud

A day or so after we got home from the beach vaca, Cooper started complaining that the outside of his ear hurt.

In the first two years of his life, he had no less than 283,919 ear infections. So I kind of have some moderate experience with the ol' otitis media. And not once did the outside of his ear hurt.

But after more complaining and crying that his ear hurt and my kind of blowing it off, the Captain said we should get it checked out. Dr. Brother-In-Law said he'd bring his ear-looky-thing home. But before we could get to their house, Cooper's ear turned red. Like PURPLE RED. It was freaky. He looked like some Dr. Seuss character.

I diagnosed him with Swimmer's Ear. Did you know I received my M.D. from Google University? I'm very smart.

Dr. B-I-L checked out his ear and come to find out, poor baby has two infections - both internal and external. No wonder he was complaining.

Some drops in the ear for the external infection. Easy peasy.

A round of Augmentin for the other infection. Not so easy.

You would think I was making the kid drink two cups of elephant pee-pee. Good grief. It's only a teaspoon and a half of medicine. I've told you before how challenging this is.

It is painful.

It's enough to make ME want to take drugs.

Tuesday night was no exception. He wailed when I poured it out in the teeny tiny cup "Ohhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Not the white medicine!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooo!"

Then he got brave. And swigged the whole thing back. I was so proud. Until he just held it in his mouth. And stood there. And shook his head. And promptly spit it in the sink. Wrong.

Try again.

He would take a teeny tiny sip. Then drink some water. Then spit it all in the sink. "It's GROOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS." He said he would rather drink chicken barf or rabbit pee-pee than take this medicine. I guess that could be arranged if it would clear up the ear infections.

So finally we agreed that he could take a tiny sip. Then swallow. Loud enough that I can hear him. Then he has to open his mouth and show me that it's gone (like we're on Fear Factor or something). THEN he can have some water.

*sigh*

I have succombed to also bribing him with Sour Patch Kids.

Whatever works.

4 Wanna' ramble too?:

Momma Roar said...

Getting kids to take liquid meds is never any fun ... until ...

my pediatrician let me in on a secret last year when my daughter was prescribed augmentin. She said make an augmentin sundae by pouring in a little chocolate syrup, mixing it around and then topping it off with a little whipped topping. It was a hit - we got to the point where we could skip the syrup and all we had to do was follow up the meds with a shot of whipped topping in the mouth (even for my boys who weren't sick!! LOL)

Miss Mandy said...

We swig the medicine, then use a hershey's syrup chaser. It coats the tongue & takes it away pretty quickly.

tonya said...

So, "just a spoonful of sugar" doesn't work?

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, any excuse in this family to have permission to squirt RediWhip directly into the mouth. We even have pictures.