Monday, February 15, 2010

Holding Out

I recently had my eyes examined. No surprises. I'm as blind as ever. Nothing some contacts can't fix.

However, at this visit, he asked if I was having trouble seeing up close.

"Close? Nope. It's the distance that gets me."

"Ahhh," he said. "It won't be long."

"Long for what?"

"Readers."

"READERS!?!?"

He said I would "know" when the time came for some readers. I'd still need to wear my contacts for distance, but would eventually have to get some reader glasses to read things up close. This "change" usually happens around 40. I'm welllll past that. He called me "lucky". And then had the nerve to say that I wasn't quite ready for bifocals. WHAT? Bifocals?! Ummm, doc maybe YOU are the one that needs to get their eyes examined.

I'm not getting readers. Nope. Not me.

Now, let's just say I have not purchased these readers he's talking about.

But, sadly, I think I'm beginning to see what he was talking about.

When I have something in front of me to read, I have to kind of move my arm out a bit farther. Just like my mother.

Great.

And I may or may not have tested some at the drug store the other day.

And they may or may not have made it a bit easier to read things that are close.

Shoot.

I ran in a little fancy shop the last week to buy a gift and the gal said "We just got cutest readers in today. Do you wear readers?"

"NO! I DO NOT WEAR READERS!!"

Guess I told her.

Cause I'm not getting readers.

I'm holding out.

Yep. I'm holding everything wayyyyy out.

6 Wanna' ramble too?:

MOM said...

Many years ago that same dr. told me the same thing and I said that I didn't want them. He said ok, when you need them you will tell me. Well, I did and it made a world of difference. Then I had to go to trifocals. Now the next step is catarac surgery and as bad as my vision is getting I will sumit to that. As you would say - just saying.

Just Mom said...

*snort*

It won't be long until I go the way of my mom too.

Momma Roar said...

My mom has the trifocals, my dad has had the surgery in both eyes.

Yeah, I'll be there soon too, I suppose.

But I'm gonna follow in your footsteps and hold out too! ;)

KaseysKrazyMommy said...

tee hee... I feel your pain... however... NO READERS (until my arms are too short) ;)

JuJu said...

Oh girl, I feel your pain. I had to use them last night to play Trivial Pursuit. They make the questions so much smaller these days!
Ouch!

Anonymous said...

OK one word of advise...Dollar..(ok two words) General. Got that? Dollar General...home of the $1 'readers'. Buy $10 worth, spread 'em around the house -beside the computer, your bedside table, kitchen counter, next to EVERY phone, your favorite chair, several in the car, etc. - just saying.