Friday, May 14, 2010

I went to the desert on a post with no name.

Before we get started, let's take a moment and show our appreciation for Friday and thank him for finally showing up. {cue applause}

Now I must tell you about my Big Bad Wolf. I know I'm just going to sound like a proud mama, but....HE TOTALLY ROCKED IT. Even though he had talked about being nervous, it never showed and he hit that stage and danced around and twirled his tail and sang his little wolfy heart out. He was a real....wait for it....HAM. {bah-dah-bing}. Anyway, he really was a hit. And I'm so very proud of him.

Our guests from Wyoming, Bruce & Lars, are here. They spent two days turkey hunting with the Captain before arriving yesterday. After everybody got home from hunting, and performing, and volleyballing, and working, we all sat down to a yummy dinner of The Pioneer Woman's Drip Beef. (Seriously people, if you haven't made this yet, you should. Run, don't walk, to your crock pot and fix it today.) It was a yummy dinner with good conversation.

All was well.

Until I looked down and saw a tick crawling across my arm.

Now, there were several things wrong with this situation.

First and foremost, THERE WAS A TICK CRAWLING ACROSS MY ARM.

At the dinner table.

In front of our guests.

Truth be known, the tick probably came from one of the three hunters as I found out later that wasn't the first tick that had been discovered that afternoon.

And then before the dishes could be cleaned from the table, the Captain found one stuck in his arm.

Yuck people.

Serious yuck.

However, I was the only one who was even remotely freaked out or embarrassed by this.

Because, as hard as this is to believe, I'm really not used to having ticks crawl across my arm. At the dinner table. In front of guests.

And then our lovely dinner conversation went south. And it turned into tick stories.

Then snake stories.

And that's when I started to get light headed and nauseated and almost had to take to the bed.

After dinner, Bruce attempted to teach me how to play Cribbage. Anybody know how to play this? It's fun. But confusing. And it's a lot of adding and mathy stuff which I am not good at. (I don't like numbers, I like letters.) Lots of rules and things to remember. Points for this and points for that. Fifteens, pairs, two-four-six-eight, who do we appreciate. I accused him of making it all up as he went along. And fully expected for him to get two points because I sneezed during the game. And I also learned that if somebody does real well, you are supposed to say, "Now that was some good pegging." Whatever that means. And after two games, I finally have a loose grasp of how to play. I think. Anyway, he was excited to teach me and he was patient with my Lucy Ricardo style of learning.

That's what's going on in my world right now. Drip beef. And ticks. And Cribbage. Be jealous of my very exciting life.

Oh - and have a super weekend!

4 Wanna' ramble too?:

Kearsie said...

Once, I went camping and then came home and got in the shower and found a tick crawling across my *whispers* boob. There are no names for the levels of shrillness I achieved by screaming.

JuJu said...

Ticks totally gross me out. I found one on Rockett one time, it was all bloated with blood. Ewww. We put it in some old Scotch to kill it. It's always a science experiment at our house.

Congrats to Cooper! I know he was fantastic!!

Lisa Smith said...

The title drew me in and the story made me laugh!! Not a big fan of ticks either... anywhere, anytime!!

KaseysKrazyMommy said...

I woke up once with a tick trying to burrow in my... BELLY BUTTON! That was one time that I was not happy to have an "innie"...

I am a cribbage fan! Love to play whenever I can... my hubby... not so much... so, I have to play against my iTouch... and it beats me... a lot... but I'm still a fan.

Have a super weekend... :)