Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let's talk Christmas....

I saw these Christmas questions and just knew they would be perfect to share with you, my beloved blogophiles!


Wrapping paper or gift bags?
A little bit of both. I will wrap anything that is already square or rectangle. Or that can go in a box. Everything else goes in a gift bag. I tend to start my gift-wrapping with good "box intentions" but then settle for bags as the process goes along.

Real tree or artificial?
Artificial. I grew up with an artificial tree too. The Captain grew up with a real tree. I just don't want to spend the amount of money I would need to, to have the size of tree I want. Plus the whole watering thing and needle dropping thing. No thanks. I know people talk about the great smell of the tree. One word for them: candle.

When do you put up the tree?
I start all the decorating the Friday after Thanksgiving.

When do you take the tree down?
The day after Christmas. This year, we will have family arriving in town late in the afternoon on Christmas Day. Guess that would be scrooge-ish to be taking my tree down as they are pulling in the driveway. Will have to postpone that a bit this year. But definitely by Sunday afternoon.

Do you like eggnog?

It's good. I don't like it as much as the Captain does. And the Bloggie Doggie gets to lick the empty glass, so he likes it too.

Hardest person to buy for?

Probably my mother-in-law. She has everything. And she really has no interests. She is a toughie.

Easiest person to buy for?
My kids. Also, my sister. We have the same interests. I usually end up buying myself one of everything I buy for her.

Do you have a Nativity scene?

I have a Willow Tree nativity that I love love love. The Captain gave me the pieces over several Christmases.

Mail or email Christmas cards?

I quit sending Christmas cards three years ago. And my life became much simpler. I didn't have time, money or energy to put into the whole process. It definitely gets very "competitive" with the perfect card, cutest picture, etc. So I just quit. And besides, why should I send you a picture of my kids anyway? Sometimes, I will write a little letter to a few friends we don't keep in touch with regularly.

Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

A bag of a dozen lemons. But there were only eleven in the bag. Long story. But it was not a gag gift. Yes, this is a true story.

Favorite Christmas movie?

I love Christmas Story. Ralphie and his quest for the Red Ryder BB gun makes me laugh my head off. Just classic humor there. Of course I love all the animated specials too. Wouldn't be Christmas without them.

When do you start shopping for Christmas?

It's not uncommon for me to have Christmas presents for the NEXT Christmas even before this Christmas rolls around. I actually shop all year round. It's much easier on the pocketbook and the stress level.

Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

No comment. I just hope you like what I got you this year....And no, it doesn't look familiar.

Lights on the tree?

Of course. White.

Favorite Christmas song?

There are a few I guess. I would have to say "Oh Holy Night" ranks up there (Martina McBride does it best). I also like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (maybe the Kenny G version). And "Little Drummer Boy" and "Carol of the Bells".

Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Absolutely! (Cooper attempted this and he threw in Pluto and Dickson)

Angel or star on top of the tree?

Sadly for me, neither. I grew up with a star on top. The Captain grew up with nothing on top. I have not been able to find something that I really, really LIKE or that would stay up there. I fret about it every year, but just can't find the perfect thing.

Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
Grew up opening our family gifts on Christmas Eve. Usually our immediate family gifts are opened at some point on Christmas Eve. We have "Present Night" with Mom and Connie's crew on the Saturday before Christmas. Sounds weird I know. But it kind of evolved to that after we factored in the Captain's police schedule, Bro-in-Law's medical oncall schedule, out of town family, etc. It's a neat tradition. We all love it. And, for those following along at home, this year's Present Night is THIS Saturday! Hooray!!

Most annoying thing about this time of the year?

People get in such a hurry trying to get it all done they are not nice. Cutting you off in the parking lot, getting impatient waiting in line, etc. They forget why they are doing all this in the first place. All of that, plus rude or indifferent retail clerks. Don't get me started.

Favorite Christmas foods?
I make that standard but yummy overnight breakfast casserole for Christmas morning. That has kind of become a tradition at my house. We also make sausage balls and Chex Mix (more than once!)

What do you want for Christmas this year?

Well, the Captain and I are getting a new TV and also getting almost our whole house painted. So Merry Christmas to us. But if anybody is interested in getting me something, just leave me a comment and I can email you my "real" wish list!

Snow on Christmas morning?

I wish...but usually no.

Feel free to jump in and answer some of these Christmas questions too!

Jerry has found a very festive little spot to perch today. Ho Ho Ho!


One week from TODAY is Christmas people!! Are you ready!?

2 Wanna' ramble too?:

Anonymous said...

We can never have a real tree cuz of the dogs...we figure if there has been a bird anywhere NEAR said tree, Maggie and Scout would point at it and not move till December 26th!!

Anonymous said...

LOL at the lemon story - who could forget!!!
Almost disaster - One year when the doorbell rang, Quincy ran to see who was there and turned the decorated tree over on the hardwood floor - broken crystal ornaments. He always ran and we would laugh and say "He is always the first one there, and it is never for him". But,one day, to our surprise, it WAS for him. A friend from around the corner brought her dog for a "visit". And I am sure you two sisters remember having to wait until your Dad and I finished our coffee to open presents. I know it seemed like a week to you. I think those little things are what enhance our memories. ILY