Thursday, November 19, 2009

Turkeys Not Trees

A week from today is Thanksgiving. Seriously. Did you hear me? I said a WEEK FROM TODAY IS THANKSGIVING. Mercy people. When did November get here?

It seems like people skip right over fall and rush Christmas. They go from "Trick or Treat" to "Merry Christmas" without missing a beat. Stores have had their Christmas stuff in there for weeks already. Not me. I'm keeping my turkeys, and pumpkins, and pilgrims out until after Thanksgiving. Because they are cute and I love them. AND BECAUSE IT IS THANKSGIVING. So there. I should have turkeys not trees. Pumpkins not poinsettias. Fall leaves not fa la la. I will put up my Christmas stuff after Thanksgiving. Because that is proper holiday decorating etiquette. Or at least it is in my house.

Now, I have to say that we are exchanging Christmas gifts with the Captain's family next Friday. Personally I think that it stupid. But they didn't ask me. I understand that they are all coming for Thanksgiving and not returning at Christmas. (They live in Texas and Utah.) But seriously I have to have Christmas gifts purchased AND WRAPPED by next Friday?! Can't we just ship it all to them in early December? We can't? OK.....

Even though we are having Thanksmas Chrisgiving a combined holiday next week, I am certain my inlaw family will not have the tree up, but I have already seen many houses around town with holiday lights outside and Christmas trees put up.

I just don't think that's right.

I will spend the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving (and probably a few days into the next week also because I have a lot of stuff....) putting up my Christmas tree and the other decorations in my house.

What about you?? When do you put up your Christmas tree and all the stuff that goes with it?

Sound off people.

3 Wanna' ramble too?:

JuJu said...

I don't even THINK Christmas until it is December. (well, I may buy a few gifts, but that's only if I'm very on top of the game)
I'm with you 100%. Let's wait for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. The bird deserves respect.

Cameron and Rachel said...

Amen girl! Give that turkey some respect. He treats us well on Thanksgiving :)

We put our stuff up after Thanksgiving before is way too early.

There is a guy in our neighborhood who put his up before Halloween. His lights were on halloween night.And to top it off when he opened the door he was jamming out to Christmas music...too much for me!

Anyways...hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Kearsie said...

If it were up to me I'd leave my Christmas tree in our living room all.year.long. Yes, I'm one of *those* people.

But I married an anal man, who will not tolerate year round Christmas trees nor let me listen to Christmas music (in his presence) or even the random viewing of Elf.

So, we will do the boring traditional after Thanksgiving putting up of the Christmas tree.

But, I started a tradition with my two kiddos. We watch Polar Express, made cookies and put up the trees. One for us grownups and one for the kids. It's a good day.