Monday, July 26, 2010

Grab your bag and get in the car

It all starts today.

And I guess I'd better get used to it.

Because it will be like this for at least nine more years.

Or at least until November.

This is the week that Cooper's football camps and practices start.

Three nights a week.

And an occasional weekend.

Factor that in with Jordan's on-going volleyball practices, camps, and clinics that have already been going on all summer.

Five nights a week.

And an occasional weekend.

That's a lot to coordinate.

And it has involved an excel spreadsheet. And several different colored highlighters.

Cooper has played team sports before, but up until now, it's involved a one-hour practice and a game on Saturday. This little team is a bit more than that. This is also his first brush with football. He's excited. And nervous. It's tackle. Which means he has to wear a helmet and shoulder pads and lots of other pads.

(For those of you who are unfamiliar with the sport of volleyball, it only requires knee pads.)

He's very proud all of his gear. And has been wearing his helmet and mouthpiece around the house.

But he doesn't want to get hurt. And thinks that if he does, the buggy will come out and get him on the field and he will get to give the cheering crowd a thumbs-up. Ummmmm, Coop, it's just 3rd & 4th grade football. No buggy.

This crazy practice schedule concerns me. Especially when school starts. Because it means most nights we are will be dragging in close to nine o'clock. That's just late people. And there's that thing called homework....and bedtime.... And I'm a firm believer in home-cooked dinner. We are not a fast food drive through family. Helllloooooo my beloved crockpot!

And I know that's just all part of it....

Jordan has had some experience with crazy practice schedules, but since she is playing on the JV team this year, the schedule ramps up significantly.

And I know I shouldn't say Cooper is just eight and he's a baby and this is a huge commitment. But Cooper is just eight and he's a baby and this is a huge commitment.

And our kids are only involved in one activity. How on earth do these people do it when they have their kids in dance, and cheer, and voice, and boy scouts, and french lessons, and all that? Whew!

Anyhoo.....tonight it all begins.

Please send Gatorade. And gift cards for gasoline.

And if anybody wants to be penciled in for a drop-off or a pick-up slot, let me know.

(For my local readers, Jordan's camp this week runs until 10pm and is at a very nice college way down by the zoo. Yes, the one that rhymes with "Toads". Yes, I'm serious. And let's just say it won't be the first time I've picked her and Niece M up from practice wearing my jammie pants. )

And for those of you keeping score at home, school starts in three weeks. And no, we don't have uniforms or school supplies yet. And I avoid the tax-free weekend like the plague. It's not worth saving $23 to fight some woman over notebook paper and pocket folders with prongs.

Happy Monday people. I've had my crockpot plugged in since 5am.

So let the games practices for the games begin.

2 Wanna' ramble too?:

JuJu said...

This makes me tired, and a bit stressed, just thinking about it all.

Cameron and Rachel said...

Whew, this makes me tired just reading about your busy life. Is this what I have to look forward to?