Friday, September 9, 2011


During a conversation at work yesterday I mentioned I needed to get some money from the beeper. That comment drew some odd looks. Now, while it is certainly not unusual for me to get odd looks when I say things, I discovered that apparently I'm the only one that uses the word "beeper" for this particular thing.

The "thing" in question is the machine at the bank where you can drive through and withdraw some cash.

The "Automatic Teller Machine".

I call it a beeper.

I've always called it a beeper.

Because you go there and beep beep beep some money.

And, in my world, it's used as a noun and a verb.

I go to the beeper to beep out some money.

Beep beep beep.

But APPARENTLY nobody else calls it that. And not only do they not call it that, nobody has even heard of that.


My unscientific poll on Twitter shows that most people call it an ATM. A few votes for Money Machine.

And NOBODY calls it - or has heard of calling it - a beeper.


So, my sweet cupcakes, I'm asking you ...

What do you call the machine at the bank where you can drive through and withdraw some cash?

Sound off.

Oh, and have a great weekend!

4 Wanna' ramble too?:

JuJu said...

I call it an ATM. I'm kinda conventional that way. I've never heard of the beeper....)

Now, what do you call the thing that changes the tv station and you hold in your hand???

angie128 said...

Usually I call that a remote. Sometimes I call it a flipper.

Steve said...

Calling it the beeper sounds like trying to say something you can't say on TV, so it got beeped out. But then in a way, that sounds much more fun than calling it the ATM.

KaseysKrazyMommy said...

My little one calls it the money maker... oh, how I wish! :)